A step over the threshold of the Carpenter House is a step into the colorful history of the mining communities of Upper Kittitas County. This 1914 mansion with its spacious rooms, tiny alcoves, and third floor ballroom holds the story of Cle Elum’s first successful banker and former mayor of Cle Elum, Frank Carpenter, and his family. In 1989, the Carpenter Family donated the home and all of its original furnishings to the Historical Society for the express purpose of creating a museum. Local families have donated a few of their beloved furnishings and ancestors’ old country costumes to make the museum a true example of Cle Elum’s past. NKCHS began a reciprocal relationship with the High Country Artists in 2000. In exchange for gallery space and a working studio in the Carpenter House, the High Country Artists provide docent and caretaking services for the museum. HCA art exhibits rotate monthly.
Carpenter House Museum – 302 West 3rd Street – Cle Elum WA 98922
OPEN Fridays – Sundays, Noon – 4:00 (Closed in January)
Free Admission (Donations gladly accepted!)